<span class="highlight">ROO</span> <span class="highlight">Shoo</span>

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 14, 2007 at 20:40
ThreadID: 43260 Views:6112 Replies:15 FollowUps:15
This Thread has been Archived
I recently asked a q. about bullbars and got good advice. What about the Roo Shoo sonic noise thingy. Gimmick or effective? I guess an anser from someone who had one on and hit a roo would be definitive!
np
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: On Patrol (Aust.) - Wednesday, Mar 14, 2007 at 20:59

Wednesday, Mar 14, 2007 at 20:59
nigelp
Since fitting "good quality" ones I drive with a bit more confidence around dusk. In fact last Saturday evening a mob sitting on the road, around a bend, moved in plenty of time at my arrival which was not always the case before. I'm a beliver.
Colin.
PS my last run out to Silverton at dusk with them on was uneventful. Thats Roo central along that road.
AnswerID: 227498

Follow Up By: Wetty - Wednesday, Mar 14, 2007 at 21:37

Wednesday, Mar 14, 2007 at 21:37
Check with your insurance company. . . . bet they won't pay up if you hit a skippy and claim on it.
Cheers

Wetty
FollowupID: 488251

Follow Up By: japmel - Wednesday, Mar 14, 2007 at 23:20

Wednesday, Mar 14, 2007 at 23:20
Strange comment Wetty, I've hit a couple of Roos and never had a claim refused.

Sounds like you may need to change Insurance companies.

Regards
japmel
FollowupID: 488292

Follow Up By: Matt.D (WA) - Thursday, Mar 15, 2007 at 08:15

Thursday, Mar 15, 2007 at 08:15
I've also had a couple of claims paid after hitting a roo.

Cheers Matt.
FollowupID: 488330

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Nullagine) - Thursday, Mar 15, 2007 at 08:36

Thursday, Mar 15, 2007 at 08:36
Of course they do
(personal experience x2)
FollowupID: 488339

Reply By: Kev M (NSW) - Wednesday, Mar 14, 2007 at 21:17

Wednesday, Mar 14, 2007 at 21:17
I don't use them on my vehcles but have been a passenger in one that does have one fitted. In my opinion it causes the roos to move which increases the chance that they will end up in front of you. But alternatively the earlier they move the easier it is to detect them
So in all that I can not find whether they work or not. Have seen roos hit with both non users and by users of the shu roo.

It must be like the hyclone some swear by them others write them off. The majority of those who swear by a shu roo also have bull bars fitted, Go Figure.

Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 227505

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (W.A) - Friday, Mar 16, 2007 at 12:52

Friday, Mar 16, 2007 at 12:52
Kev
Your so right, like me you been seen and know,, check this story below.

A FREAK accident involving a kangaroo has claimed the life of a 50-year-old motorist in the south-west of Western Australia.
Police said yesterday that Maurice John McCredden, of Manjimup, 260km south of Perth, died from injuries he received when the kangaroo went through the front windscreen of his car last Sunday.

Police believe the animal was initially hit by a Toyota Landcruiser along the Muir Highway at about 4pm. The 37-year-old driver of the 4WD told police that the animal was thrown into the air and then slammed into a Ford Fairmont travelling in the opposite direction.

Police said that the animal went through the front windscreen of the car and into the back seat, causing Mr McCredden to lose control and crash. The kangaroo was killed on impact.

He was rushed to nearby Warren District Hospital and later airlifted by Royal Flying Doctor Service to Royal Perth Hospital, where he died of his injuries last night.

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 488595

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Wednesday, Mar 14, 2007 at 21:18

Wednesday, Mar 14, 2007 at 21:18
np,

It is a bit hard to say if they work or not.

If the unit is on and you don't hit a roo you could say that they work, or good luck but if you do hit a roo, it does not work, or bad luck.

I would never rely on them even if they do work. If you see roos, slow down and expect a roo to jump out at you. It is the roo you don't see is the one you hit.

I have not had one on but I have also hit a couple of roos.

Wayne
AnswerID: 227506

Reply By: Member - Bucky (VIC) - Wednesday, Mar 14, 2007 at 21:37

Wednesday, Mar 14, 2007 at 21:37
There are some whistle things, that are about $28 that work too...( not $200 + )

A lot of plastic ones a bit cheaper, but the metal ones actually whistle.

I am sure that Autobahn was where I got them ...

Good luck
Bucky
AnswerID: 227514

Reply By: Member - jeff M (SA) - Wednesday, Mar 14, 2007 at 21:41

Wednesday, Mar 14, 2007 at 21:41
Hi
My Father moved out of town into the sticks (Overland Corner) back when he was still working.
The first month he hit 5 roo's had a bull bar so didn't do too much damage.
He fitted sonic plastic roo shoo's and lived out there for 9 years and never hit another roo.
So he recons they work and so do I.
When I raced speedway we alway's traveled at night and early mornings through the mallee down to Bordertown and Murray Bridge and had the plastic gadets fitted and never ever hit a roo but seen plenty hopping away and did it for 8 years..

Cheers Jeff M.(SA)
AnswerID: 227516

Reply By: Member - Barnesy (SA) - Wednesday, Mar 14, 2007 at 22:00

Wednesday, Mar 14, 2007 at 22:00
I have those little whistlers on my bullbar, good quality ones. Cost me $20. The roos do actually move off of the road, noticable difference than without them.

The roos grazing on the side of the road, when you approach, they stand upright and make them noticable. You can see them about 50m ahead. Without the whistlers they don't move and you only notice them when you are passing them. That 50m gives you time to brake and avoid them in a worst case scenario.

They do work with roos.

Barnesy
AnswerID: 227520

Reply By: Member - Doug T (W.A) - Wednesday, Mar 14, 2007 at 22:32

Wednesday, Mar 14, 2007 at 22:32
nigelp
I have not hit a roo in the last 18 months, and yes I do a lot of travelling all over as part of the job.If you got a good steel bullbar will be better than any Shoo-roo, also a Shoo-roo won't protect the front end from a shopping trolly
My opinion is this, Shoo-Roo would be a pure waste of money, When I see a Roo near the side I do not blow the horn, do not dip lights ,keep it dazzled, slow a bit and be prepared, and 9 out of 10 it stays put, if it does go over in front of you keep an eye for it's mate coming behind it ,
Yeh I've heard all the stories about how good they and that's because they have one , I bet they don't tell about the ones they hit because the Shoo-roo will give them a false sense of security.
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 227527

Follow Up By: On Patrol (Aust.) - Thursday, Mar 15, 2007 at 21:04

Thursday, Mar 15, 2007 at 21:04
Doug T
Not sure Doug that $20 ( for hopper stopper or shue roo whistles ) is a pure waste of money, and I don't feel I need to justify that expense to say they work.

I now realise nigelp was reffering to the electronic device, I agree they maybe a waste of cash.

But $20 is small change compared to the difference between a Good fridge and an excellent fridge or a good 4wd and an equally good 4wd. Now that's justification territory mate.

No false sense of security ether, nothing replaces driving to conditions.
Colin
FollowupID: 488468

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (W.A) - Thursday, Mar 15, 2007 at 22:05

Thursday, Mar 15, 2007 at 22:05
On Patrol
OK so I misunderstoop the name ...Shu-Too the Electronic device, and the original post I take it was about some piece of plastic crap , Well I'll say it again and I stick by my statement ...."Bullschitt" , and I'm not just out on the highways a couple of times a year on public holidays and or annual leave .My profession is based around driving and has been for over 40 years, I hate bragging and listening to braggers but sometimes to get a message over .....
I defy anyone that tells me a little plastic whistle is going to deter a Roo hopping in front of a car/truck,It's all in the mind,Put your self in the Roos position, listen to the road noise from tyres alone and then by adding a little bloody plastic whistle puts the fear of hell in Roo....C'mon...'
At that I will leave a little hint for night driving, subcontiously be aware of the reflectors way ahead, if you see one go out and on again be prepared ...something has walked past it.
worst time for Roos is early evening and at Piccaninny Daylight
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 488473

Follow Up By: whyallacookie - Friday, Mar 16, 2007 at 12:01

Friday, Mar 16, 2007 at 12:01
I think your misunderstanding what they do (and what the manufacturers claim they do)

They don't "scare" the animal away merely emit a high pitch noise which is easier for roos to hear.

The idea being, apparently someone asked the roos, they don't always here you coming until your close, the noise then scares them and as anyone who has seen roos knows they go helter skelter all over the place, often straight across the road in to your path.

The noise makes them notice you earlier then depending on the roo they will either ignore you or move away. Often those that have lived around the highways aren't that worried about you. The difference is they are expecting you rather than being given a fright.

Diping headlights is only when they are already on the road staring at you mesmorised. Dipping the lights is like clipping the roo over the back of the head and snapping it out of it. They usually then realise it is time to move!

(The same reason a roo/rabbit shooter points a bright spotlight at them... They stand there looking at it while you take your shot.
FollowupID: 488589

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (W.A) - Friday, Mar 16, 2007 at 12:29

Friday, Mar 16, 2007 at 12:29
whyallacookie
When you get old and wise ......and become a stubborn old coot you dont misunderstand what they do .......
(and what the manufacturers claim they do) yeh wouldn't you tell lies to sell your product .
asked the roos,??? well now thats a good idea , you thought of this one so YOU put furry Roo suit on [as like a Humphry B Bear suit ] and go ask them , and ya know what....your the one thats going to be in the spotlight, Same reason a roo/rabbit shooter points a bright spotlight at them/you... And it will be you standing there looking at it while he takes a shot. Then it will be goodbye whyallacookie.All this will take place by the big Tanks near the Lincoln and Eyre Hwy T.

As Kev said and I agree don't disturb them and they don't hop into your path

Doug
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 488592

Follow Up By: whyallacookie - Friday, Mar 16, 2007 at 12:54

Friday, Mar 16, 2007 at 12:54
Doug, You do dribble a lot..... Something else that comes with being old and wise I suppose....

My point was that they are not designed to "scare" the animals away, merely alert them to your presence earlier.

Asking the roos was a joke... Guess a sense of humour goes with being old and wise too.

Well enjoy your wisdom, glad to hear you are now able to understand everything and know all. You know what they say you can't teach an old.......

FollowupID: 488596

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (W.A) - Friday, Mar 16, 2007 at 13:02

Friday, Mar 16, 2007 at 13:02
whyallacookie
Geez your treading the fine line boy,....I'm gonna get ya ..lol
Hey what's the B/S about teaching Old .....Your never too old to learn
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 488598

Follow Up By: whyallacookie - Friday, Mar 16, 2007 at 13:12

Friday, Mar 16, 2007 at 13:12
Ahhh it's probably just the fact that they fall asleep TRYING to catch up to the Troopy when she's towing!
FollowupID: 488599

Reply By: Gramps (NSW) - Wednesday, Mar 14, 2007 at 22:50

Wednesday, Mar 14, 2007 at 22:50
The $4 plastic fantastics from Supacheap work just as well for mine.
AnswerID: 227537

Reply By: Hairy - Wednesday, Mar 14, 2007 at 23:16

Wednesday, Mar 14, 2007 at 23:16
Ive got the cheapy plastics and the last time I hit a roo his head hit it! Someone told me I wasnt going fast enough to make them whistle properly? I reckon any faster he would have landed on my lap.
My brother has the electronic ones and swears by them.
I dont know? If it works for you its a good thing, bit like a hyclone, or Peter Brocks black box?
Cheers
AnswerID: 227551

Follow Up By: Dave198 - Thursday, Mar 15, 2007 at 00:03

Thursday, Mar 15, 2007 at 00:03
Same thing happened to me Hairy, broke the plastic gizmo and on of my spotlights and headlight on my LC.
I drive a lot at night (900kms per shift), in roo country Far West NSW.
Some nights the roos are really quiet and just don't move much, and other nights they seem to be very skittish and jump everywhere.
As far as I can see if there isn't much moon and it's a bit windy, it's not a bad night with the roos, but a bright moon and calm night, slow down a bit if your in a car or fourby.
One roo took the rear wheel arch guard off one of our trucks last night.

Dave
FollowupID: 488301

Follow Up By: Footloose - Thursday, Mar 15, 2007 at 00:18

Thursday, Mar 15, 2007 at 00:18
Put a big bullbar on and they'll be sure to commit hari kari on the side of the vehicle. Out near Charleville/Morven, I've seen one wedged between the bullbar and the wheel arch.
I drive to avoid em. Slowly. One trip I they were so bad I went to sleep dreaming of giant roos smashing through my windscreen.
What a wuss !!
:))
FollowupID: 488306

Reply By: DIO - Wednesday, Mar 14, 2007 at 23:53

Wednesday, Mar 14, 2007 at 23:53
I use the cheap plstic variety, have done so for many years, never hit a roo yet, come close a few times. Do they work, guess so. Cheap insurance.
AnswerID: 227560

Reply By: Brew69(SA) - Thursday, Mar 15, 2007 at 06:27

Thursday, Mar 15, 2007 at 06:27
Haha its all about making the purchaser believe. Give a kid a mint and tell him its medicine and the mind does the rest.

I've had an anti lion/tiger device in my backyard for 5 years now and i guess it must work too cos i've not had one in the yard yet :)

AnswerID: 227581

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Thursday, Mar 15, 2007 at 09:37

Thursday, Mar 15, 2007 at 09:37
I have had a pair of the cheaper plastic "whistlers" on my vehicle for about 6 years and I swear they work. Bought them from "supercheap" when it was "Rocca Bros".

I have observed dogs reacting to the "whistling" in suburbia as well as eagles, etc., on the road out in the country. Providing they are kept clean they will give an extra level of audible warning to all wildlife and other animals, as you approach them.

The electronic "shoo Roos" would not work any better IMHO.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 227611

Reply By: Member - steve H (QLD) - Thursday, Mar 15, 2007 at 14:53

Thursday, Mar 15, 2007 at 14:53
When we lived in southern NSW my wife was concerned about how often she had to dodge Roo's going to and from work (90k trip each way ) . After fitting $20.00 Roo whistles she noticed the roo's would scatter. Actually the were wallaby's not Roo's so we called them ** woblee shoe's**

steve
AnswerID: 227655

Reply By: Pomgonewalkabout - Thursday, Mar 15, 2007 at 18:11

Thursday, Mar 15, 2007 at 18:11
One of the local outback health units have shoo roos fitted to their bullbar. Unfortunately it don't work anymore because it was smashed when they hit a roo!

I have those cheap plastic thingo's and haven't hit one yet (fingers crossed)

cheers
AnswerID: 227684

Reply By: Member - Steve T (NT) - Thursday, Mar 15, 2007 at 21:33

Thursday, Mar 15, 2007 at 21:33
Recipe for Kangaroo stir fry
1 kg diced kangaroo.
2 carrots.
1/2 a cabbage
A hand full of snow peas.
5 spring onions.
1 hole red onion.
1/2 red 1/2 green capsicum.
1 clove garlic.
1 small piece of ginger.
1/2 bottle sweat chilli sauce.
1/2 cup honey
2 woks.

Dice vegetables
Heat both woks and cook kangaroo and veg simultaneously,( remember cook kangaroo to medium rare) add to kangaroo 1/2 a bottle sweat chilli sauce garlic and ginger, once the kangaroo is nearly ready add 1/2 a cup of honey and glaze the kangaroo, when glazed add kangaroo and cooked veg together and serve feeds 5.
Cheers Steve.
AnswerID: 227736

Follow Up By: whyallacookie - Friday, Mar 16, 2007 at 12:04

Friday, Mar 16, 2007 at 12:04
See.... Not all bad! LOL
FollowupID: 488590

Sponsored Links